IDENTIFYING YOUR MOST IMPORTANT GOALS:
(1) Make a list of 10 - 15 goals this year. No more than that, otherwise you'll lose focus and won't accomplish much.
(2) Rank each to-do item according to number (aside from the "must-do" things that you will do anyway). Most important is 1, really important is 2, kind-of important is 3, etc. After you've done that, eliminate everything without a number 1 ranking.
(3) Take all the items ranked number 1, and order them according to their priority (ranking them 1, 2, 3, etc.). Concentrate time and energy on the first item first, and work slowly on other top items when you have time.
CREATING OR SAVING TIME:
1. Abstain from all digital connections (except work-related) for 1 month out of the year. See what you can accomplish in that month.
2. Beware of information overload. Go on an information diet. Set a timer and read headlines on the web, or watch TV news (or Facebook, if that's your addiction) for just 15 - 30 minutes at most per day.
3. Abstain from "virtual worlds." It disengages your mind and your life from all that is really meaningful. The real world is where it's at! Computer games powerfully distort your sense of time, and the hours (days, years) go by with little notice, and nothing of value is accomplished. So unless you have a career reviewing computer games, just say no! They freeze your existence like a self-induced coma, as time and the rest of the world goes right past you.
4. Use a timer often. (Buy some cheap timers at the dollar store.) Set the timer for bursts of cleaning, writing, finishing a project or whatever you want to do. You're more apt to work harder, faster and more efficiently when you set a timer. You can put up with just about anything if you know it's only for a short time.
5. Organize your workspace for useable space! Having space that is continually covered and overwhelmed with piles of stuff just does not count as "useable space."
6. Throw out 50 things (and a stack of paper items count as just 1 thing).
I wish you all the best in accomplishing
your most important goals in 2013!